Surya Namaskar- A complete yogic exercise. Surya Namaskar is a combination of 12 powerful yoga asanas. If you are short on time, and you are looking for a way to stay fit, then Surya Namaskar is the best option for that. In addition to good health, Surya Namaskar also gives us an opportunity to express our gratitude to the Sun for preserving life on earth.
What Is Surya Namaskar?
The literal meaning of ‘Surya Namaskar’ is an offering or salutation to the Sun. This yoga asana is the best way to shape the body and keep the mind calm and healthy. The essence of this asana is salutations to the Sun, which is the power source of all the energy in this world. So it also helps our body in the process of saluting the Sun God. This posture becomes very important because of the important role it plays in our lives.
Can Surya Namaskar Be Done in the Evening?
It is a combination of 12 asanas and each asana offers its own unique benefits. You can practice this in the evening also. Just make sure you do it on an empty stomach. Doing yoga in the evening like in the morning brings both physical and mental peace.
Surya Namaskar keeps the body active while reducing stress. Nowadays it is true that people find it difficult to make time for exercise even in the morning and evening. You can also do Surya Namaskar during restless hours. Just 15 minutes of practice in the morning or evening can relieve your stress. But to practice this, you need to meet at least two conditions. That is Sunlight and an empty stomach.
In the morning on an empty stomach or in the evening, you can practice Surya Namaskar at least 5 hours after eating. It is also important to keep in mind that 12 sun salutations are a regular practice.
Reasons Why You Should Perform Surya Namaskar at Morning Time
The sun’s rays in the morning have a positive effect on the body. The whole atmosphere is calm during this time, so it is easier for you to maintain concentration.
What Are the Benefits of Doing Surya Namaskar?
Surya Namaskar is made up of 12 yoga asanas. Each Asana has its own importance. The cardiovascular health of the person doing this is good. Along with this, the circulation of blood in the body is also improved.
- Health Shines: If Surya Namaskar is included in the daily routine and done properly, then positive energy will come into your life.
- Every Worry Will Be Away: By doing Surya Namaskar, memory power increases, and the nervous system calms down, which removes your anxiety. Surya Namaskar normalizes the functioning of endocrine glands, especially the thyroid gland.
- Helps to Detox: During Surya Namaskar, the air reaches the lungs by inhaling and exhaling. Due to this oxygen reaches the blood, which gets rid of carbon dioxide and other poisonous gas presents in the body.
- Better Digestive System: During Surya Namaskar, the abdominal organs are stretched, which improves the digestive system. For those who have complaints of constipation, indigestion, or a burning sensation in the stomach, it will be beneficial to do Surya Namaskar every morning on an empty stomach.
- Body Becomes Flexible: Surya Namaskar asana works out the whole body. This makes the body flexible.
12 Steps of Surya Namaskar
- Pranamasana- Prayer Pose (Inhale and exhale)
- Hasta Uttanasana- Raised arms Pose (Inhale)
- Padahastasan- Standing Forward Bend (Exhale)
- Ashwa Sanchalanasana- Equestrian Pose (Inhale)
- Dandasana- Staff Pose (Exhale)
- Ashtanga Namaskar- Eight Limbed pose (Hold the Breath)
- Bhujangasana- Cobra Pose (Inhale)
- Parvat Aasa- Mountain Pose (Exhale)
- Ashwa Sanchalan Asana- Equestrian Pose (Inhale)
- Hastapadasana- Standing Forward Bend (Exhale)
- Hasta Uttanasana- Raised arms Pose (Inhale)
- Pranamasana- Prayer Pose (Exhale)
At Least How Many Times Should One Do Surya Namaskar?
Surya Namaskar should be done at least five times but at the time of beginning, you should do it according to your physical ability.
Who Does Not Do Surya Namaskar?
- Pregnant women should stop doing Surya Namaskar after the third month of pregnancy.
- People suffering from back pain must take proper advice before starting Surya Namaskar.
- People suffering from high blood pressure should avoid it.
- People suffering from arthritis or knee pain should not do it.
- Patients with a hernia and high blood pressure are advised not to do Surya Namaskar.
- Women should not do Surya Namaskar and other asanas during the period.
Surya Namaskar Mantra in English and Sanskrit
Twelve mantras are chanted in Surya Namaskar. In each mantra, a different name of the sun is taken. Every mantra has only one simple meaning – Salutations to Surya.
- Omn Mitray Namah (ॐ मित्राय नमः)
- Omn Ravaya Namah (ॐ रवये नमः)
- Omn Suryay Namah (ॐ सूर्याय नमः)
- Omn Vanabe Namah (ॐ भानवे नमः)
- Omn Khagay Namah (ॐ खगाय नमः)
- Omn Pooshne Namah (ॐ पूष्णे नमः)
- Omn Hiranyagarbhaya Namah (ॐ हिरण्यगर्भाय नमः)
- Omn Marichaye Namah (ॐ मरीचये नमः)
- Omn Adityaaya Namah (ॐ आदित्याय नमः)
- Omn Savitree Namah (ॐ सवित्रे नमः)
- Omn Arkaya Namah (ॐ अर्काय नमः)
- Omn Bhaskaraaya Namah (ॐ भास्कराय नमः)
ॐ सवितृ सूर्यनारायणाय नमः ॐ ऐहि सूर्य सहस्त्रांशों तेजो राशे जगत्पते, अनुकंपयेमां भक्त्या, गृहाणार्घय दिवाकर